Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Seedlings


I used egg cartons to start my seedlings this year. I had an overabundance of cartons since our chickens haven't been laying any eggs over the winter. It seems to be working well. They're very handy to water in the kitchen windowsills, and are getting plenty of sunlight. It's quite fun to check each morning to see any new sprouts. Now I wish I had done more. The only thing that hasn't come up yet is the nasturtiums. The seed might have been too old. I'll give it some more time, and then get some new seed. They're supposed to help deter some of the insects that invade the vegetable garden. My biggest problem last summer was the cabbageworms on the broccoli. The book said to put paper collars around each plant. I used plastic soda bottles, cut off the top and bottom and put around each plant. The worms found the plants anyway. They were so bad, I pulled the broccoli up early because I was so annoyed with trying to get off all those little beasts. Better Homes Gardens says to plant tansy to deter cabbageworms. I looked up tansy and its an herb. I'll try to find seed and plant near the broccoli.

No comments: