Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Nursing Homes

My sister went into a nursing home yesterday.  She has dementia.  Early onset dementia.  She's only 62, and so advanced in this disease that she can no longer be on her own without supervision.  Like so many other diseases, they don't know what causes it.  

Right now, our attention goes to her.  Is she being treated kindly?  Is she combative to the people trying to take care of her?  Is she scared or lonely?  If I had the ability, I'd like to go there and take care of her myself.  

Her family was gathering some family photos, in the hope that it would help her memory.  I think all the little things will help.  I watched videos on facebook that showed people with dementia and how they reacted to music and animals.  And thankfully, this nursing home has both these therapies in place.  

Later on, our attention will go to avoiding this disease ourselves. I've read the basic things like protect your head from injury, exercise, eat right.  And do things to stimulate your brain, like learning a new language, musical instrument, or even trying a new recipe.

It would be nice if a new treatment would be found in the near future.  Something that would bring her back to her former self.  Miracles do happen.  I also know that this life is full of trials and tests and sometimes it's just really, really hard.  I know the Lord loves us all.  I know He will bless us beyond our vision and scope. It may not happen during this earthly life, but it will happen.   

No comments: