Friday, August 26, 2011

Blackberry Crisp Recipe

I need to make a dessert to take to the church dessert auction tonight. I decided on blackberry crisp. I prefer to make it from fresh berries, but I have to settle on frozen. After they're thawed, they are kinda small and puny. And a lot of the juice is in the freezer bag instead of in the berries. The last time I made it with frozen berries, juice sloshed out all over me as I was going out the door with the finished dessert. So I'm making a few changes to my original recipe.


Blackberry Crisp

4 c fresh or frozen blackberries, thawed
1 1/2 c sugar
1 c flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 c melted butter or margarine

Put berries in large casserole dish or 9x9 pan. Pour 1/2 c sugar over berries. Combine flour, 1 c sugar, cinnamon, and melted butter or margarine. Cover the berries with this dough. Bake at 400 F for 30-45 minutes or until brown on top.

Note: When using thawed fruit, drain the juice and add 2 Tbsp. cornstarch and add back to the berries. This should help thicken the juice.

I just discarded the extra juice this time. Last time I did the cornstarch thing and it sloshed out all over me anyway. But it was still very warm and it might help to let it cool.

I used a bag of frozen berries that originally had 8 cups worth. I did not measure it after the thaw, but it was way less than 8 cups.

I tasted a thawed berry and was surprised how tart it was. The original recipe calls for 2 cups sugar, that seems like too much to me. I like to pick my berries when they're very ripe, so I don't usually use the extra sugar. I think you need to taste it and decide for yourself if it needs more sweetening.

When I make this recipe with fresh berries, it is amazing. Served warm with some vanilla ice cream.




No comments: