Saturday, July 2, 2011

Family Reunion


The family reunion was in our town this year. Usually it's held in Joe's Valley in Utah. But this year, right here on our little farm. Well, part of the reunion.
Mom-in-law went all out, as she usually does. She comes from a different generation where their work ethic is something else. She's at least twenty years older than me, but I don't manage to do half of what she does. For the family reunion, we painted her kitchen, living room, re-landscaped her front yard and also did some work in the backyard. Everything in the house was taken down from it's spot and cleaned. She even came over and cleaned my garage. Granted a lot of the things in there were theirs, but I still have a feeling I should be ashamed of myself.
She planned three meals for around forty people, but one of the meals fell through. She was disappointed but I was relieved, my back and feet were killing me. Her meals are not a little light fare, but something of a smorgasbord.
Some of the family from out west are talking about coming out here next year. I know it's a lot of work, but it was really nice getting to know them a little. I personally would change menus to make it easier. That's what I've been saying to my sisters for years. If we had a more simple meal, we would have more time for fun. But I know Mom. And she'll want a big to-do. And that's just fine. There's always ibuprofen.

No comments: