Thursday, July 14, 2011

Dr. Mark Hyman on Dementia

Dr. Mark Hyman has written an article about reversing dementia. I first saw this after finding out the second person in my immediate family had this diagnosis. What a sense of gratitude/elation/joy filled me at thinking this diagnosis didn't have to be a life or death sentence. He says:

"Start by looking hard for correctable causes of memory loss. They include:
  • Pre-diabetes or metabolic syndrome
  • Low thyroid function
  • Depression
  • Deficiencies in B vitamins, especially vitamin B12
  • Omega-3 fat deficiencies
  • Mercury or other heavy metal toxicity
  • Vitamin D deficiency
  • High cholesterol
  • Unique genes that predispose you to nutritional or detoxification problems"

Read the article. I've just given the basics. Some of these things are very easy, like taking a pill. Others may take more work and more time, but what a blessing to be able to reverse this disease. I would start with taking sublingual B12, vitamin D, and fish oil. A lot of things can be improved with a healthy diet and exercise. That reminds me-I need to put B12 on my grocery list!

No comments: